In this week’s recap of the Top 10 most popular Supermarket News articles, the main story was that Amazon Fresh is accelerating its expansion with five new stores. Most recently, the company unveiled plans for three new Amazon Fresh stores in Northern Virginia. A 45,000 square foot store opened in Manassas on June 9 and a 38,000 square foot store in Lorton is scheduled to open June 23.
- BJ’s plans burst of club openings
- Cardenas Markets to merge with Tony’s Fresh Market as part of Apollo acquisition
- SpartanNash Acquires Shop-N-Save Food Centers
- Southeastern Grocers Introduces Digital Point-of-Sale Advertising
In other news, The Giant Company is expanding its presence in greater Philadelphia this summer with two new Giant supermarkets. Giant, based in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, said that starting next week, it plans to open two new stores in the southeast Pennsylvania metro area. They include a 50,700 square foot supermarket at 501 North Broad St. in Philadelphia on July 24 and a 49,000 square foot giant at 1025 Second St. Pike in Richboro, Pennsylvania on July 1.
Other featured stories:
- Giant Food goes EV with latest delivery trucks
- 2022 Supermarket News Fresh Food Trends Report: Shoppers are back in stores and are still eating more at home
- Kroger will implement a next-generation DSD solution
- U.S. online grocery sales trend down again in May