Prince Harry files complaint against Home Office’s decision not to let him pay for police protection in UK

The Duke of Sussex has filed for judicial review of a Home Office decision not to allow him to personally pay for police protection for himself and his family while in the UK.

Harry wants to bring his son Archie and granddaughter Lilibet on a visit from the United States, but he and his family are “unable to return home” as it is too dangerous, a legal representative has said.

This follows an incident in London in the summer of 2021 when his safety was compromised after his car was chased by paparazzi photographers as he left a charity event.

The Duke wants to fund the security himself, rather than asking taxpayers to foot the bill, a legal representative for Harry has said.

Harry argues that his private protection team in the United States does not have adequate overseas jurisdiction or access to British intelligence information that is needed to keep the Sussex family safe.

“The UK will always be Prince Harry’s home and a country he wants his wife and children to be safe in,” the Duke’s legal representative said in a statement.

“With the lack of police protection, comes too much personal risk.”

The representative added: “The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are personally funding a private security team for their family, but this security cannot replicate the police protection needed in the UK.

“Without such protection, Prince Harry and his family cannot return home.”

Lilibet, who is now seven months old, has yet to meet her great-grandmother the Queen, grandfather the Prince of Wales and other family members face-to-face.

The Duke briefly returned from LA last year for the July 1 unveiling of the memorial statue of Diana, Princess of Wales, and the day before, June 30, he met critically ill children and young people at a a WellChild Garden Party and Afternoon Tea at Kew Gardens, West London.

It is understood the Duke’s car was chased by photographers as he drove away.

Harry’s mother Diana died in a car crash after being chased by paparazzi in Paris.

Harry wants to bring his son Archie and granddaughter Lilibet on a visit from the US

(Getty Images)

The legal representative added: “Prince Harry inherited a security risk at birth, for life. He remains sixth in line to the throne, has served two combat missions in Afghanistan, and in recent years his family has come under well-documented neo-Nazi and extremist threats.

“While his role within the institution has changed, his profile as a member of the royal family has not changed. Neither has the threat to him and his family.

The application for judicial review was filed in September.

Harry and Meghan lost their taxpayer-funded police protection after stepping down as senior royals.

Their safety was one of the main issues when the couple announced they wanted to retire in 2020.

Their website at the time suggested the Home Office, through the Metropolitan Police, should continue to provide protection for the couple and their son Archie.

Harry and Meghan have been forced to disclose that they have ‘privately funded security arrangements’ in place for their move to the US, after President Donald Trump said his country would not pay for their protection.

The Sussexes have signed multi-million pound deals with Netflix and Spotify, with the Duke telling Oprah Winfrey he secured them to pay for her security.

The legal representative added: “The Duke first offered to personally pay for UK police protection for himself and his family in January 2020 at Sandringham. This offer was rejected.

“He remains ready to cover the cost of security, so as not to impose it on the British taxpayer. As we know, other people who have left the public service and who run an inherent risk of threat receive free police protection.

“Prince Harry’s goal was simple: to keep himself and his family safe while in the UK so that his children could experience his home country.

“When he last visited the UK in July 2021 – to unveil a statue honoring his late mother – his safety was compromised due to lack of police protection, as he left a charity event. .

“After another attempt at negotiations was also rejected, he applied for judicial review in September 2021 to challenge the decision-making behind the security procedures, in the hope that this can be reassessed for the obvious and necessary protection. required.”

A government spokesperson said: ‘The UK Government’s protective security system is rigorous and proportionate. Our long-standing policy is not to provide detailed information about these arrangements. Doing so could compromise their integrity and affect people’s safety.

“Nor would it be appropriate to comment on the details of any legal proceedings.”

Harry’s uncle, the Duke of York, faces calls to pay for his own security as the fallout from Andrew’s civil sexual assault case continues.

About Sandy Fletcher

Check Also

Top Trends and Tips for Styling Your Workspace

At Lifehacker, we independently curate and write things we love and think you’ll love too. …