The COVID-19 disaster has taken digital media consumption to new heights, whereas conventional media stagnated, in line with eMarketer knowledge.
What is occurring: Even earlier than the pandemic, however particularly after, the time spent by American adults on smartphones and sensible TVs skyrocketed, whereas the time spent on units like radio and linear TV continued to say no.
Why is that this necessary: Media firms that had but to start out realigning their companies round streaming and cellular have been caught off guard by the pandemic’s digital growth. Those that did have been rewarded.
Driving the information: Disney mentioned on Tuesday that its Disney + streaming service surpassed 100 million subscribers in simply 16 months.
- Its subscriber base is about half the scale of Netflix, which pioneered subscription streaming greater than a decade in the past.
- Disney’s streaming success has helped the leisure big survive financial headwinds attributable to the closure of parks and resorts in the course of the pandemic.
In numbers: Time spent with the media has elevated considerably in the course of the pandemic, because of lockdowns folks have spent on-line.
- Time spent with digital elevated 15% final yr from 2019 to 7 hours and 50 minutes per day.
- Related TV noticed a 33.8% enhance in utilization final yr, to 1 hour and 17 minutes per day.
- Streaming subscription noticed a 33.9% enhance in utilization at 1 hour, 12 minutes per day.
- Digital audio noticed an 8.3% enhance in utilization at 1 hour, 29 minutes per day.
What to observe: eMarketer predicts that these codecs will demand much more each day media time sooner or later. Conventional TV, social media, tablets, and desktops / laptops are prone to decline this yr in comparison with 2020.